Dear Kate

dearkate1
dearkate2
So i am back, after such a long hiatus but anyone who follows me on instagram or twitter can attest to my life being swamped with both work and University exams for the last couple of months. Honestly, today and yesterday (and we're talking Tuesday and Wednesday here because i'm writing this in the past) have been the first days since the beginning of december where i've actually had time to myself. So i apologise wholeheartedly but, to paraphrase a Liverpudlian hero, life is what happens when you're busy thinking about Lingerie and i'm sure i'll keep having to make these little apologetic asides.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.
Today we're going to be talking about periods, mostly. And it's not a subject i venture into very often. Don't get me wrong, i'm not ashamed or particularly modest when it comes to my bodily functions and fluids but i'm a shut up and put up kind of girl. The way i see it, if i live to be 75 (and if you know my family history then that's quite generous), then approximately 14% of my adult life will be spent on my period, so what is the point in whining about it every month? 
That being said, i always end up ruining a pair of knickers through my idiocy (8 hours in the library and no spare tampons? Don't mind if i do) and having multiple moments of paranoia that i'm leaking in public. Its inevitable. 
Dear Kate have obviously recognised this as a problem that many women face (own up, i'm not the only idiot who decided to wear pastel coloured eyelash lace knickers mid way through my period, am i?) and set about doing something about it. Enter knickers that essentially have an extra layer of protection that can absorb 3 teaspoons worth of liquid (that's 35% of the average amount of fluid expelled during a normal flow period), is breathable and stain resistant. It's an intelligent idea that pretty much solves all major period gripes. I was however, mighty sceptical, i had vivid images of knickers that just felt like you were wearing a pad (something i purposely avoid because nappy (diaper) butt stops being cute when you are 2). This is not the case thankfully and these knickers aren't bulky or uncomfortable in the slightest. And whilst they're not something i'd reach to wear for say, a hot date, they're not hideous. The mesh panels and the diamond pattern are sweet and quite stylish so i certainly wouldn't be ashamed to be caught wearing them.
I was sent the Ella Hipster full in an XS and the Ella Bralet in a S. There is a decent amount of stretch in the knickers and they fit me well, however looking at their size chart, that would make me a US size 00-0 which i am definitely not, being a UK 6-8. So i would probably suggest either sizing down or consulting the exact measurements for each size to ensure you get a decent fit. The Bralet has little to no support and unfortunately doesn't come in an XS. Luckily the style is such that it's not imperative to have a snug fitting band and cups for this to be comfortable. Which leads me to suggest that i'll probably wear it more as lounge/night wear than under clothes.
As it's taken me almost 2 months to get this post up and out, i've had a bit of a good test drive, choosing to wear my Dear Kates on the day i knew my flow would be heaviest and i'd probably suffer the most leakage. They really did not disappoint and washing them and any stains out was so easy. I'm definitely considering purchasing a few more pairs so that i never have to deal with blood stains or paranoia again.
If hipster briefs aren't for you then don't despair, these knickers come in pretty much all styles with various levels of coverage, i'm currently desperate for the thong. Dear Kate also do a range of activewear knickers, perfect for those who actually exercise and don't just lie on the floor and think about exercising. On top of that, they also have a range of extra large sizes so they're not sizing any women out.
Dear Kate has been kind enough to offer oflambsandlace readers 25% off their orders until the 16th of February with the code "oflambsandlace".

p.s. I'm in the process of moving all my books from my parents house so it's mighty depressing how sparse they look in these photos.
*These items were sent to me free of charge to review. All opinions are most definitely my own*